Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Callie's second ever quilt block!

Hi everybody! Callie here. I hope everybody's having a good week!

So the last time I posted I made this super crazy bright red and green nine patch quilt block for one of my two blocks for this month. Here's my second one! The downside of having my second one done already is that I have to wait a whole month before I get new ones to make, but then I guess I'll post about some other stuff I'm doing!

Our second quilt block is called a Pennsylvania, which made me happy. My grandparents were married in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and it made me feel kind of close to them to make this block! They weren't born there or anything and they didn't live there either, but it's still an important city because actually... well, I'm not sure how much family history I should go into but my grandma ran away from home to marry my grandpa there. Anyway!


This one looks kind of like a nine patch only the outside corners are a little more complicated. We had to make these teeny tiny strips for them and then sew them together!

sorry about the towel lol
This one actually took a lot longer than I thought it would. I guess I figured it'd be about the same time as a nine patch? But it wasn't! It took longer than that! Not that I am really complaining.


I couldn't find much on the history of this block which was sad. I don't know why it's called a Pennsylvania block either. I can't find anything that has said it has an origin in Pennsylvania or anything like that. I guess it's just a name!


We did get the blocks together and mom said "oh! It's an Irish chain!" So I ran to figure out what that was. It turns out an Irish Chain is just a name for a pretty pattern that you can make with blocks like this one (or with a nine patch, or with something called a double nine patch that would just be tiny this small and super hard) in single, double, or triple, and it's probably not really from Ireland but from America. 

also we're watching Ghost Asylum!
So I didn't learn a lot this time around. Bummer! But it's still a pretty cool block, because it carries a name from a state with a city that's important in my family. I hope my grandmother and grandfather would like seeing it! 

Love,

Callie

Outfit:
Dress and hair clip: AG Shimmer and Lace Party Dress
Necklace: AG Grecian Princess Costume
Follow the quilt-a-long here!

4 comments: